Monday, June 15, 2009

10 Years...what a trip!


So this past weekend was the somewhat daunting, but turned out to be the freaking fun, 10 year high school reunion...


Now...for those of you that know me, you know that my experiences at good old LHS ranged from the fantastic (oh those nights...) to the miserable (oh and those nights too...). I will be the first to admit that I was a bit apprehensive about going- yes 3 of my formidable years were spent as a Lancer, but alas I couldn't stick it out to graduate from there. I was afraid I'd be denied admission at the door since I am not technically a graduate, but thankfully this wasn't the case...and I'm pretty sure that lovely rumor mill that is high school had spit out some quite amusing, yet totally false, stories about why I didn't finish at LHS (I died, I killed someone, I should be dead...) and I wasn't sure I was ready to face some of those who made me miserable, yet I was hungry to see those that were important in my life.


Walking through the doors was a surreal experience- faces from the past, some instantly recognizable and others a bit hazy (and NO I wasn't drunk...I am just very energetic!) My very patient hubby and some of the other hubbies quickly found the bar, then the pool tables and tucked themselves away for the night. For us Lancers, we bravely made the rounds, and it seemed almost instantaneous that we were back in the groove. It was fantastic to catch up with everyone, to see what they're doing, learning about their families, wishes and dreams...


While the reunion just ended yesterday, in some ways it seems like it didn't even happen- in other ways the laughs, tears and smiles of over a decade came flooding back and I've been smiling ever since.


My life, ten years after some of the best and worst times of my life, is my life! I have a wonderful life, a great husband, 2 dogs, and a house (sans picket fence, but I'm working on it...) I hope to be adding to my family soon, I have the best career I could pick, and I'm finally healthy (pesky heart surgery!!! glad that's over with)! Without the high school experiences, good, bad, wild, unforgettable, firsts, lasts, and shouldn't haves, my life wouldn't be what it is today.


Thank you to everyone that was there- some of us were mere acquantainces, others were like brothers and sisters, and others were, well you know... all of you had, and still have, a special place in the book that is my life. Some of you I might not see ever again, and others I hope to see much more than every 10 years.


Whoever and wherever you are, may the next ten years be better than the last, and may we never forget those starry nights, Friday night lights, hockey games, EXCEL, Chick Fil-A at 10:00am, homecoming, prom, dances in the commons, first kisses, raging hormones! locker decorations, school pride, cheerleaders (hehehe), and everything that was, and is, the Lancer Class of 99.

2 comments:

  1. Great seeing you too. Jesus I had forgotten about the Chick Fil A. How the hell did we eat breakfast, a chick fil a sandwich, then grab mcdonalds for lunch...and not all weigh 500 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt...that dam Chick Fil-A was some good shit!!! :) I especially loved getting fries and dunking them in chocolate milk shakes for lunch!

    ReplyDelete