Sunday, June 7, 2009

Oh. My. Aching. Muscles...and Sunburn.

Well needless to say I have had a very busy, yet fun, past few days. Last Thursday I tricked myself into thinking I had big enough cojones to go ride with the **AMAZING** Jess Conner and the rest of the WMBA of COS (a rad local group of women mountain bikers...) As I showed up in the parking lot of the meeting place that fateful evening, I immediately felt like a goof. Here I am in a dingy t-shirt, my big puffy riding shorts and uncombed hair (that last part is a usual staple, but I usually do dress cuter...) Anywho I am surrounded by gorgeous women, all rocking skin tight spandex riding jerseys and shorts looking fabulous, ferocious and fearless. As we start the ride, I immediately realize I am totally and udderly NOT in this class of athleticism- for crying out loud I was out of breath riding throught the flat park on the way to the actual trail. Once we reached the trail, I looked ahead and started to cry for my mom and wishing I had brought clean undies with me. It was greuling. Hard. Painful. Scary. You name it... many L O N G and S T E E P climbs later, we finally got to go dowhill. But no, these weren't just big rolling downhill trails...NO! These were equally long and steep single tracks, full of roots, boulders, rocks, holes, mud, old tire tracks, and my awareness for my own health and well being. I did biff it once- but unfortunately I have no cool scrapes or bruises to show for it. However through this whole ordeal, all of the women I was with were nothing but encouraging, supportive and amazing. They all shared their tips for how not to die, what to wear and how they were worse than me when they started (that part's totally a fib, but it did make me feel better. :) ) At the end of the nearly 8 mile, 2 hour long trip to my almost impending death, we ended back up in the parking lot...again. Except this time it was for a delicious beer at the awesome Trinity Brewing Company (shameless plug- if you're in the Springs and haven't been there yet...go!!!) It was a great way to cap off what could have been a terrible evening- instead I left feeling energized, supported, encouraged and ready to tackle another ride! Thanks again Jess and the WMBA of COS-- I can't wait till next time...but I'm still not wearing spandex. :)

In order to repair my body from the ordeal that was, I rewarded myself with a day of lounging, canned beer and US Weekly on the very sweet bow of the nicest boat I have been on in the Pueblo Reservoir...this time I sat back and watched others get punished while wakeboarding, while I just kept reapplying sunscreen (but I still did burn...ouch) and talking it up with some great new friends. Here's to a fun summer of not dying and not frying.

1 comment:

  1. YAY for summer! Enjoy your break you need it and deserve it!

    ReplyDelete