Wednesday, June 3, 2009

As a Kirk...


Just got back from the new "Star Trek" movie... as a Kirk and closet Trekkie, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Growing up I was always told to respect the Kirk name, and my mom always had Star Trek references in her classroom (my personal favorite was the quote "Beam me up Scotty" cleverly placed right over her work desk). I suppose that in my heart of hearts, I always hoped that there really was a James Tiberius Kirk and that he was somehow related to me...<>


The movie was really good, except I do have one bone to pick...


SPOILER ALERT-- do not read on if you haven't seen the movie (or read on because you want to...)


In the film Spock's love interest is the quite sassy and beautiful Uhura and they share several kisses...that's all fine and dandy except in the series, Kirk and Uhura share this kiss...wanna know why that's important? Because in 1968 it was still quite taboo and a "no no" for interracial couples, especially white and African American to be an item. This kiss was widely accepted as a huge milestone in the Civil Rights movement and human equality overall... With that being said, and probably way too much scrutiny of it, I still think the film was quite good.


I give it 2 Spock Finger Spread Greeting/Goodbye Hand Gestures Up. Take that Siskel and Roper...

No comments:

Post a Comment